“Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory [is] above the earth and heaven.” – PSALM 148:13 (KJV)
Throughout scriptures, we read about the significance of names and their impact not only on the lives of the bearers but also their families and the world around them. In certain parts of the world, the names given to a child is so important that parents have to carefully pray and choose names that presumably tell the story of the child’s future.
God knows our names and names are very important to Him. He gave Abraham a specific instruction about what name to call his unborn son; Isaac in Genesis 17:19.
Then God said: “No, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac;
I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.” – Gen. 17:19
He also gave Mary the mother of our Lord Jesus Christ a similar instruction about the name of her child:
“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” – Matt. 1:21
From the above scriptures, we see that names are important to God, the name of a person can tell a story about that individual. “… AND YOU SHALL CALL HIS NAME JESUS, FOR HE WILL SAVE HIS PEOPLE FROM THEIR SINS”, this is so instructive as if to say that if you do not call Him Jesus, he will not save His people from their sins!
Here is another example in Exodus 34:14 about God Almighty Himself:
“For you shall worship no other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God” – Ex 34:14
One of God’s names is Jealous and He is what His name says He is; A Jealous God. In the above text, God was seen to be the husband of Israel and since Israel was joined to Him, He demanded that they should not be joined to any other god but Him. So in His name we see His attributes.
Wouldn’t it be equally important to us to know His names?
I have come to realise that the names of God you know and understand tend to be the ones you call upon the most. This week, I encourage you to study some of the names of God below, pray using these names and watch Him manifest His names in your life. Have a great week!
1. El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty) – Genesis 17:1
2. El Elyon (The Most High God) – Genesis 14:18
3. Adonai (Lord, Master) – Genesis 15:2
4. Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah) – Genesis 2:4
5. Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner) – Exodus 17:15
6. Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd) – Psalm 23:1
7. Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals) – Exodus 15:26
8. Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There) – Ezekiel 48:35
9. Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness) – Jeremiah 23:6
10. Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You) – Exodus 31:13
11. El Olam (The Everlasting God) – Genesis 21:33
12. Elohim (God) – Genesis 1:1
13. Qanna (Jealous) – Exodus 20:5
14. Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide) – Genesis 22:14
15. Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace) – Judges 6:24
16. Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts) – 1 Samuel 1:3